Benjamin Moore Balboa Mist: One of the TOP Warm Gray Paint Colours
In an effort to cover EVERY beautiful paint colour in the world with my colour reviews, some fall between the cracks. Why? Well, I rely 99.9% on photos from my Color Consulting clients for my paint reviews, and sometimes I just don’t have enough (or quality) images to do a FULL review.
THANKFULLY, Balboa Mist isn’t one of those. While I wish I had a FEW more photos, I certainly have enough to give you a great low-down on this awesome paint colour. I’ll also answer your questions re: LRV, undertones AND more – so let’s do this!
WHAT TYPE OF PAINT COLOUR IS BALBOA MIST – IS IT WARM OR COOL?
Balboa Mist is a WARM GRAY paint colour bordering on the edge of taupe. What makes Balboa Mist warm? This gorgeous shade of gray contains a subtle bit of beige, helping to cut back on any traditional cool gray tendencies it could have.
And being gray, Balboa Mist can lean that bit grayer (without looking cold) if you have north-facing light. However, with south-facing or warm afternoon western light, Balboa Mist can still look gray while picking up a taupe-style warmth. This flexibility leaves it ‘open to perception’ as to what type of colour it is!
WHAT’S THE LRV OF BALBOA MIST?
Balboa Mist has an LRV of 67, so it’s FIRMLY planted in the light range. This particular depth means that Balboa Mist isn’t bordering on the off-white range but doesn’t come close to the light-medium range – it’s more or less in the middle. And while it’s a shade (literally) off my MAGICAL LRV number, it still offers great contrast with white trim.
Balboa Mist in the bathroom
WHAT ARE THE UNDERTONES OF BALBOA MIST?
Every gray has undertones, there’s no avoiding them, and Balboa Mist DEFINITELY favours a violet undertone.
WILL BALBOA MIST EVER LOOK PINK?
Being a warm gray with a violet undertone, it CAN look slightly violet-pink, but it’s a passive nod – at best.
You can see a bit of that subtle warmth tucked inside Balboa Mist in these next photos, showing natural and interior lighting…
WILL BALBOA MIST EVER LOOK GREEN?
It sure as heck SHOULDN’T! If Balboa Mist is looking green in your space, this could be due to a variety of factors…
- the colour/temperature of your light bulbs
- reflection from the outside (trees/grass/shrubs)
- glaze on your windows (often has a greenish tint)
- you didn’t get it mixed at Benjamin Moore, or it’s a mistint
- extreme afternoon western sunshine
Let’s take a quick break to talk about paint samples…
Undoubtedly, you’ll be heading out in the near future to grab paint samples – stop right there! I want you to check out SAMPLIZE. Samplize offers peel-and-stick paint samples that are more AFFORDABLE, EASIER and more ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY than traditional paint pots. Here are just a few reasons why I recommend Samplize to my clients…
- samples arrive ON YOUR DOORSTEP in 1-3 business days, depending on the location
- they’re more affordable than the samples pots/rollers/foam boards that are needed for traditional paint sampling
- if you keep the samples on their white paper, you can move them around the room
Visit the SAMPLIZE website HERE
What’s the best white paint colour for trim with Balboa Mist?
When it comes to partnering Balboa Mist with a shade of white for trims, ceilings and doors, I lean towards…
- Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace for a simple, clean contrast
- Benjamin Moore White Dove provides a softer contrast with Balboa Mist
- I also love Sherwin Williams Pure White (even more than White Dove)
IS BALBOA MIST A GOOD EXTERIOR PAINT COLOUR?
Balboa Mist is great, but several other colours are doing a similar thing…but better. Don’t get me wrong, while it can be beautiful; it can also be a bit too passive – not committing to being an off-white, but not strong enough to hold up to decent natural light.
WHICH PAINT COLOURS ARE SIMILAR TO BALBOA MIST?
When trying to find the best paint colour for your space, it’s important to COMPARE COMPARE COMPARE. Let’s do a few comparisons of Balboa Mist to other popular warm gray paint colours.
BENJAMIN MOORE BALBOA MIST vs CLASSIC GRAY
Balboa Mist and Classic Gray have similar intentions, as both are warm grays that CAN look quite taupe. HOWEVER, the big difference is in LRV, as Balboa Mist sits at 67 to Classic Gray’s 74. This difference means Balboa Mist offers more contrast with white trim and will stand up to bright light a bit better.
- you might also find that Balboa Mist’s undertones can show up to the party a wink more
- Classic Gray sometimes reads a bit warmer than Balboa Mist
BENJAMIN MOORE BALBOA MIST vs SHERWIN WILLIAMS EGRET WHITE
I do LOVE Egret White and am often suggesting it to my Color Consulting clients alongside Balboa Mist. And while they’re very similar, Egret White is about 25% lighter than Balboa Mist and often comes across a BIT more muted, with less obvious (and slightly warmer) undertones.
BENJAMIN MOORE BALBOA MIST vs COLLINGWOOD
Is Balboa Mist the lighter version of Collingwood? Oh, the rumour would have it! However, while these two are similar, they’re only kissin’ cousins!
Balboa Mist is a bit lighter than Collingwood. Along with this shift in LRV, Balboa Mist can also look a bit warmer and sliiiiightly more violet-pink in comparison. This is why they’re AWESOME colours to compare with each other!
WHICH PAINT COLOURS GO WELL WITH BALBOA MIST?
You don’t have to look far to find colours that look good with Balboa Mist, such as some of the following…
- gray paint colours with similar undertones that are lighter and darker than Balboa
- subtle off-white paint colours
- many gray-blue blends
- muted warm neutrals that are LIGHTER than Balboa Mist
- soft and subtle warm white paint colours
WHAT DARK PAINT COLOURS WORK WITH BALBOA MIST?
Like Collingwood, Balboa Mist has many dark colours that look good with it. If you’re wanting to paint your cabinets, front door, or a fun feature wall, check out the following:
- Darker warm gray paint colours (with a violet undertone) like Benjamin Moore’s Metropolis
- Heavy green-gray blends, as well as blue-gray-greens
- Navy blue paint colours, including Sherwin Williams Cyberspace and Benjamin Moore Anchor Gray
And I’ve got more! If Balboa Mist isn’t strikin’ your fancy, check out these other wicked paint colours…
Check out my Online Colour Consulting – I’d love to help!
ORIGINALLY WRITTEN IN 2019, UPDATED FOR YOU IN 2022!