Evergreen Fog: today’s GO-TO green paint colour
I’m always excited #nervous #scared to see what the popular paint brands choose as their ‘Colour of the Year’. And while I’ll always have MAD love for last year’s colour from Sherwin Williams – Urbane Bronze, HOLY FREAKIN’ CANNOLI am I ever happy to see Evergreen Fog and I can’t WAIT to share it with you. Why? Let’s find out…
BEFORE WE GET STARTED…
In order to show you RELATEABLE & REAL homes, I ONLY use photos from my Online Colour Consulting clients. This means I don’t always have the quality photos or the RIGHT photos, but DEFINITELY have some SUPER helpful info to help you on your way!
And as it relates to Evergreen Fog, I will DEFINITELY have some photos to show you in the very near future, as I’ve chosen it as one of the colours in our upcoming lake build! I also anticipate it being a BIG hit with my clients.
What type of paint colour is Evergreen Fog? Is it warm or cool?
Evergreen Fog is a green paint colour (I’m not just good looks you know), HOWEVER, not every green is created equal…
- WARM GREEN – green with a yellow undertone
- COOL GREEN – green with a cool undertone
Evergreen Fog is definitely a COOL green, which we’ll get into shortly.
ACTUALLY, I do have one ‘in progress’ photo that our builder snapped for me. As you can see, it needs one more coat, but it’s going to look DARN gorgeous when it’s done!
One of the great things about Evergreen Fog is that whether your room is north-facing, south-facing, east or west, it holds its hue very well. This means that even in northern light (shown above) or eastern light, it doesn’t lean into blue. As for southern light or afternoon western light, you can certainly expect it to warm up without leaning into green-yellow.
What’s the LRV of Evergreen Fog?
Evergreen Fog has an LRV of 30. Not sure what LRV is? It could save your paint lovin’ life – read all about it HERE.
With an LRV of 30, you can expect Evergreen Fog to hold its colour QUITE well in an overly bright room. On the other hand, while it will look that bit darker in a room without adequate light, it has enough chroma/colour to rise up and show its true colours (whereas colours with more gray in them could fall flat)
What are the undertones of Evergreen Fog? Will it look gray or blue?
As you learned earlier, Evergreen Fog is a COOL shade of green, meaning it’s a green with a blue undertone. But don’t worry, the blue is so subtle it DOESN’T show up to the party (unlike myself, who shows up whether I’m invited or not – wink wink).
As for the gray undertone, one of the reasons why Evergreen Fog is going to be a popular shade is because of the AMOUNT of gray in it. While some green hues can come across a little too strong, the gray in Evergreen Fog helps to calm it down, while still leaving a glorious green on your walls – even Kermit would approve.
What’s the best way to sample a paint colour?
Undoubtedly, you’ll be heading out in the near future to grab paint samples – stop right there! I want you to check out SAMPLIZE. Samplize offers peel and stick paint samples that are more AFFORDABLE, EASIER and more ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY than traditional paint pots. Here are just a FEW reasons why I recommend Samplize to my clients…
- samples arrive ON YOUR DOORSTEP in 1 DAY, depending on location
- they’re more affordable than the samples pots/rollers/foam boards that are needed for traditional paint sampling
- if you keep the samples on their white paper, you can move them around the room
GET YOUR EVERGREEN FOG PEEL & STICK SAMPLE HERE
What’s the best white paint colour for trims or cabinets with Evergreen Fog?
GREAT question! So many people don’t consider their trim or cabinets when choosing a colour like Evergreen Fog. And while it’s QUITE flexible, there are a few things to consider…
- The warmer your white is, the more yellow it can look ‘in comparison’ to Evergreen Fog. This means that your previously muted looking white could look surprisingly colourful when partnered with a green hue like this.
- Evergreen Fog suits MANY warm whites, but for the above reason, leans into those with a more muted approach such as Sherwin Williams Pure White, Alabaster and Benjamin Moore White Dove.
- While Evergreen Fog can handle some cool whites (ie. Extra White), it prefers a WHITER white like Sherwin Williams High Reflective White or Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace (fave).
Is Evergreen Fog a good paint colour for the exterior of a home?
Green can be tricky as it doesn’t always jibe with brick, stonework and roof colours. This doesn’t mean it won’t work with YOURS, but make sure that green is a NATURAL choice for your home in that it already exists (ie. in the roof) or contrast/complements any features (ie. brick or stone).
Is Evergreen Fog a good paint colour for cabinets?
I would LOOOOOVE to see Evergreen Fog on some kitchen cabinets or a bathroom vanity. Is it going to happen? Well, right now the trends do lean into DARKER shades of green as well as more obvious green-blue blends, but I’ll cross my fingers as I know it could be a gorgeous option.
Again, it has enough COLOUR (chroma) to step out of the neutral range, but not so much that it’s overwhelming or SHOCKINGLY green. The depth of it (LRV) is also a nice look for those not as inspired by the darker end of things.
Which green paint colours are similar to Evergreen Fog or JUST as pretty?
Where do I even START?!
Magnolia Silverado Sage is gorgeous, as shown on this feature wall. And believe it or not, it’s also on the snippet of door on the far right, it’s just in an area with MORE NATURAL LIGHT…
Farrow & Ball Green Smoke is just a STUNNER if you want a bit more depth and green to show up to the party…
Jeez Louise, are my clients ever TALENTED – I LOVE YOU GUYS!
Does Benjamin Moore have a paint colour similar to Evergreen Fog?
Every paint colour has its own personality and nuances – there will be NO perfect match. You can fully expect to see shifts in undertones, temperature, and depths. And in fact, Benjamin Moore doesn’t have anything even CLOSE to Evergreen Fog, they all flash either MUCH too green or too gray to be comparable.
And if you’re thinking of colour matching between brands (ie. getting Benjamin Moore to make a Sherwin Williams paint colour), you might want to read THIS first.
What paint colours go with Evergreen Fog?
One of the MANY things I love about Evergreen Fog is its openness to coordinating colours. Whereas some other greens are too COLOURFUL to be flexible and others have too much gray in them to really be GREEN, Evergreen Fog is the perfect blend, allowing for a wide range of partners – just like me. JUST JOKING!!!!!
- Some subtle greiges such as Sherwin Williams Agreeable Gray can work but I would avoid a colour with any MORE violet undertone
- Sherwin Williams Accessible Beige and Aesthetic White are GLORIOUS with this particular green.
- Muted off-white paint colours like Sherwin Williams White Duck help to slow the energy down in a room and let Evergreen Fog be the star of the show.
- Soft warm whites and bright whites look great with Evergreen Fog.
- If you’re looking for a bit more COLOUR in your palette, be careful, as you don’t want to COMPETE with Evergreen Fog. Look for different hues (ie. blue/violet) that have similar or slightly lower levels of GRAY in them (Sherwin Williams Network Gray & Online are pretty).
Not sure which paint colour is best for YOUR home?
Check out my Online Paint Colour Consulting – I’d love to help!