The Top 5 LIGHT-MEDIUM Depth Beige Paint Colours
Gone are the days of boring old beige! Beige has reached new heights in the last few years as homeowners have embraced the versatility of what was once considered a basic ‘builders’ colour.
One of the front runners in the Battle of the Beige is Sherwin Williams as they’ve created a range of neutral colours that will satisfy even the pickiest connoisseur (like me…). And while I’ve written several articles on the lighter end of the beige world (links posted throughout), this one focuses on beiges with just a WINK more depth.
1. SHERWIN WILLIAMS BARCELONA BEIGE 7530
Barcelona Beige is a soft, slightly warm beige with a light-medium depth (LRV 47). Overall, it’s one of the most neutral beige colours as it isn’t overly warm (ie. strong orange, pink or yellow undertones), but also isn’t overly grayed-out.
An LRV of 47 means that Barcelona is right in the middle of the light-medium range. It doesn’t nod at the light end of things but is NOWHERE near the medium depths.
A BIT MORE ABOUT BARCELONA BEIGE
- Barcelona Beige is a great way to get a warm beige paint colour, without it looking too ‘early 2000s’
- with its passive warmth, Barcelona Beige is suited to south-facing and north-facing rooms but WILL look that bit warmer in souther light (or afternoon western sun)
- the LRV of Barcelona Beige is 47 and can look a bit heavy in a room without adequate lighting
2. SHERWIN WILLIAMS KILIM BEIGE 6106
Kilim Beige is warmer than many of the popular shades of beige without fully committing to yellow, orange or pink (although there is a wink o’ pink in it!). But OF the three main undertones found in beige, Kilim Beige leans more to the brown/orange end of things, not the yellow end, without becoming obnoxiously peach-toned. Compare it to Macadamia to see the difference.
A BIT MORE ABOUT KILIM BEIGE
- Kilim Beige loves north-facing rooms as its warmth helps balance the cool light but can look OVERLY warm in southern or western afternoon sun
- it DOES have a wink of red (pink) tucked in it, so make sure it jibes with the undertones of your interior finishes
- Kilim Beige looks good with many wood tones, but avoid OVERLY yellow ones
- The LRV of Kilim is 60, so while it will reflect some light back into the room, don’t expect it to work ANY great wonders in a dark room
3. SHERWIN WILLIAMS NOMADIC DESERT 6107
Nomadic Desert is a beige with a bit more meat on its bones. With an LRV of 50, Nomadic Desert adds decent visual weight to a room and a stronger contrast with white trim, especially compared to some of the popular lighter shades of beige. Really, Nomadic Desert is like a light-medium version of Kilim Beige, having similar features just on a slightly deeper level.
When thinking of ‘beige’, Nomadic Desert is likely a little bit darker than the average person traditionally thinks of but isn’t so heavy that it will weigh down a well-lit room.
A BIT MORE ABOUT NOMADIC DESERT
- Nomadic Desert LOVES most wood tones but can fight a bit with OVERLY yellow or red ones
- Nomadic suits both north or south-facing rooms, as long as they’re well lit
- with an LRV of 50, Nomadic Desert won’t add nor absorb light in a room, meaning it could feel a bit heavy in a low-light or dark room
CLICK HERE or on the above images to see available packages!
Undoubtedly, you’ll be heading out in the near future to grab paint samples – stop right there! I want you to check out SAMPLIZE. Samplize offers peel and stick paint samples that are more AFFORDABLE, EASIER and more ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY than traditional paint pots. Here are just a FEW reasons why I recommend Samplize to my clients…
- samples arrive ON YOUR DOORSTEP in 1-3 business days, depending on location
- they’re more affordable than the samples pots/rollers/foam boards that are needed for traditional paint sampling
- if you keep the samples on their white paper, you can move them around the room
Visit the SAMPLIZE website HERE
4. SHERWIN WILLIAMS ACCESSIBLE BEIGE 7036
Accessible Beige is a gorgeous beige that has a soft and subtle gray undertone, making it look the LEAST like a typical golden beige paint colour. It’s also the LIGHTEST option on this page, just to show you something a BIT different!
A BIT MORE ABOUT ACCESSIBLE BEIGE
- Accessible Beige can be a bit fussy with wood stains that have a lot of red/pink in them, but humours many others (it told me so)
- it’s a great colour for a north or south-facing room; neither too warm nor too cold (check out its FULL-colour review here)
- Accessible Beige doesn’t have a super high LRV, sitting above 55, but not by much. So, while it’s a lighter colour, if you have a dark room it might feel a bit flat and drab
5. SHERWIN WILLIAMS BALANCED BEIGE 7037
Balanced Beige is like a slightly darker, light-medium version of Accessible Beige. And while Balanced Beige has a nice warmth to it, it’s subdued by a subtle gray base, making it one of the more MODERN beige paint colours in this range.
Check out my SUPER cool video on Accessible Beige…
Want a beige that’s custom-tailored to your personal tastes?
Check out my E-Design / Color Consulting and Decorating Services!
ORIGINALLY WRITTEN IN 2019, FULLY UPDATED FOR YOU IN 2022!