The Top 8 Shades of Green: Benjamin Moore
Partner Post to The Best Blue-Green (Teal) Paint Colours
Many of us get the chills just thinking about painting our homes a cool colour like blue, violet or green. And while there are many cool colours that will give a ‘cool and crisp’ feeling, there are others that can look warmer due in part to their depth and undertone. It’s all about picking the right colour for the job.
WHERE DO GREEN PAINT COLOURS WORK THE BEST?
In rooms where the sun beats in relentlessly, cool colours like green can help balance the ‘visual’ temperature of the space. Learn more about south-facing rooms here: The Best Paint Colours for South-Facing Rooms.
ROOMS WITH A LOT OF WOOD
If you LOVE your wood cabinets, flooring or furniture, you might love how green will ‘accent’ your wood pieces, whereas a warm colour would blend in with your wood tones. Read ALLLL about this here: The Best Paint Colours to Update Wood Finishes
The Top Benjamin Moore Green Paint Colours
(Including some greens with a touch of blue/gray undertone)
1. BENJAMIN MOORE ARCTIC SHADOWS
Arctic Shadows is for those of you who love green but don’t want to make too much of a STATEMENT about it.
While Arctic Shadows is OBVIOUSLY green, it has a neutral base to calm it down, making it a stronger earth tone.
Mountain Air has an LRV of 53.58. Not sure what LRV is? It could save your paint lovin’ life (HERE).
PAINT COLOURS THAT ARE SIMILAR TO ARTIC SHADOWS
- Sherwin Williams Rare Gray has a similar approach to Arctic Shadows
2. BENJAMIN MOORE ANTIQUE PEWTER 1560
Antique Pewter is a medium-toned green paint colour with a soft neutral base calming it down – essentially making it a darker version of Arctic Shadows. This is a SLIGHTLY warm green, but more modern looking than a traditional olive green.
Antique Pewter has an LRV of 24.15, so it’s tucked nicely in the medium range with some good meat on its bones.
PAINT COLOURS THAT ARE SIMILAR TO ANTIQUE PEWTER
- Benjamin Moore Crownsville Gray. A bit more of a rich, slightly darker take on Antique Pewter
- Benjamin Moore Copley Gray. It’s like taking MOST of the green out of Antique Pewter, leaving more of a greige look with subtle undertones
3. BENJAMIN MOORE FERNWOOD GREEN 2145-40
Fernwood Green is just slightly warm without getting too funky about it and would add a bit of life to a north-facing room especially. With its LRV of 57.98, it’s a light depth paint colour, but one with a BIT more body compared to ones closer to my MAGICAL LRV number.
PAINT COLOURS THAT ARE SIMILAR TO FERNWOOD GREEN
- Benjamin Moore Dill Pickle. One of my faves as it’s a slightly more funk-da-fied warm green
- Benjamin Moore Camouflage. Still a warm green but it has a more neutral base, making it earth-toned
4. BENJAMIN MOORE NANTUCKET GRAY HC-111
Nantucket Gray is GORGEOUS if you want an earth-toned, muted, but still green look on your walls.
Nantucket Gray has an LRV of 39.49, so while it’s got some depth to it, it’s not a HEAVY medium tone. If you haven’t touched up on LRV yet, I highly recommend you do HERE.
PAINT COLOURS THAT ARE SIMILAR TO NANTUCKET GRAY
- Benjamin Moore Sandy Hook Gray. Similar, but less ‘colour’
- Benjamin Moore October Mist. A cleaner look than Nantucket with less greige in it
5. BENJAMIN MOORE CAROLINA GULL 2138-40
Seriously, I have mad love for Carolina Gull. Whether it’s a bathroom, kitchen, living room or stairwell – this colour never fails to impress! Women often love this colour as it’s almost like a modern, more grayed-out version of teal (which is a popular accent). Men love this colour because they tend to love green, blue and gray, and this colour is a fantastic blend of those three. Predominantly green, with a decent gray, then a submissive blue undertone.
Carolina Gull has an LRV of 26.37, so he’s a solid fella.
PAINT COLOURS THAT ARE SIMILAR TO CAROLINA GULL
- Benjamin Moore Caribbean Teal. Just like Carolina Gull, but with considerably less gray and more COLOUR!
- Benjamin Moore Heather Gray. Very close, just more gray, really
Undoubtedly, you’ll be heading out in the near future to grab paint samples – stop right there! I want you to check out SAMPLIZE. Samplize offers peel and stick paint samples that are more AFFORDABLE, EASIER and more ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY than traditional paint pots. Here are just a FEW reasons why I recommend Samplize to my clients…
- samples arrive ON YOUR DOORSTEP in 1-3 business days, depending on the location
- they’re more affordable than the samples pots/rollers/foam boards that are needed for traditional paint sampling
- if you keep the samples on their white paper, you can move them around the room
Visit the SAMPLIZE website HERE
6. BENJAMIN MOORE SANDY HOOK GRAY HC 108
Sandy Hook Gray is a GORGEOUS colour for bedrooms as it’s restful and relaxing and beautiful with woods like fir and cedar. Its blend of green and greige makes for a soft, grounded looking green that hovers right between the colour/neutral worlds – it would be open to interpretation for sure. Gettysburg Gray is the slightly darker version, adding depth and therefore, subtle warmth to any room.
Sandy Hook Gray has an LRV of 38.79, so it’s a medium-toned paint colour. Gettysburg Gray has an LRV of 29.92, so it’s a solid tone darker.
PAINT COLOURS THAT ARE SIMILAR TO SANDY HOOK GRAY & GETTYSBURG GRAY
- Benjamin Moore Rockport Gray. Same idea, but a bit more of a taupe base which cuts back on a lot of the green and can flash slightly purple at times
- Benjamin Moore Clarksville Gray. The warmer cousin to Sandy Hook, with a bit more beige/less gray in it
7. BENJAMIN MOORE DRY SAGE 2142-40
Dry Sage is a gorgeous soft gray-green blend. It leans a bit more to the warm side, but not enough to make it SUPER olive toned or greige. It also leans MORE into green than it does its neutral base.
Dry Sage has an LRV of 34.1 – medium depth for sure.
PAINT COLOURS THAT ARE SIMILAR TO DRY SAGE
- Benjamin Moore Gray Mirage. The lighter version of Dry Sage (mad love)
- Benjamin Moore Cheyenne Green. Like a slightly lighter, more muted/less green Dry Sage
8. BENJAMIN MOORE CALDWELL GREEN HC-124
Caldwell Green is a bit more GREEN and a bit darker than many of the above colours – but daaang, is she ever gorgeous. With an LRV of 16, Caldwell Green is a medium-dark green paint colour. And while there’s a BIT of gray in there to calm it down, you’re still left with a whole lot of glorious green.
Caldwell Green looks MUCH more green on these upper cabinets via the natural light, interior lighting and photography. But if you take a good look at those lower cabinets, you’ll see a bit more typical shot of Caldwell in action.
Oh, you know I can’t even help myself – let’s do another one…
9. BENJAMIN MOORE NOVEMBER RAIN 2142-60
I didn’t touch much on the LIGHTER range with the above colours as MOST of my clients who are wanting green, want one with a bit of meat on its bones!
However, there’s something to be said for the beauty of a soft gentle green like November Rain. With an LRV of 71, November Rain is on the HIGH end of the light range – winking at off-white. It’s also a WARM green with a greige base to calm it right down.
A FEW MORE POPULAR LIGHT GREEN PAINT COLOURS TO EXPLORE
- Mountain Air is a soft, very slightly warm green with a gray-greige base to calm it down. It’s a light-medium colour depth colour with a slightly fresh vibe.
- Benjamin Moore Spanish Olive is just a WEE wink warmer than Mountain Air – a great comparison.
- Benjamin Moore Camouflage. Camouflage is a beautiful WARM green paint colour with a soft greige base to calm it down.
And for a bit of FUN, let’s look at this gorgeous mudroom in Benjamin Moore Avon Green! Before, the room was flat with a heavy cabinet and murky walls, but my client wanted to keep ALL of the existing green surfaces while freshening up the space…
With a fresh coat of paint on the walls and door and the removal of the honky cabinet above the sink, the room looks SO much better (the pictures will be hung shortly).
Now, if you love the IDEA of those, but find them a bit too green, you might want to check out the gray or greige range with green undertones, something like Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter for example.
Looking for a great green?
Check out my Online Color Consulting for your own personal consultation!
ORIGINALLY WRITTEN IN 2019, TOTALLY OVERHAULED IN 2022