AESTHETIC WHITE: THE BEST ‘NEW’ WARM OFF-WHITE PAINT COLOR
It can be darn hard to keep up with trends (for those so inclined). This means that when choosing a paint color, you shouldn’t just think about what’s TRENDY; you should also consider what’s VERSATILE.
What does this mean?
Well, the more versatile a paint color is, the better it will flex into the next trend. It’s kind of like me at 44 – the more flexible I am NOW, the easier it will be to transition into my 50s. I figure my diet of white wine, Filet o Fish and Cornuts is also helping with that.
If there’s ONE COLOR that’s popping up more and more in my Instagram, Pinterest, and Youtube comment sections, it HAS to be Sherwin Williams Aesthetic White. You know I’m a sucker for flexible neutrals like Benjamin Moore Edgecomb Gray, Ballet White, and Sherwin Williams White Duck, which is why I’m MORE than happy to welcome another up-and-comer to the paint color world.
Now, if you’re like my hubby and are confused about the title of this blog post vs. the color name, I get it. I said in the title that this color ISN’T WHITE, yet the name is AESTHETIC WHITE.
Never judge a color by its name. If I judged a color by its name, my walls would be painted Nacho Cheese and Red Red Wine. Aesthetic is an off-white paint color – not white.
WHAT CAN AESTHETIC WHITE BE USED FOR?
- exteriors (siding and trim)
- interior trim (although I don’t personally recommend it)
WHAT MAKES AESTHETIC WHITE SO VERSATILE?
Any color that can nod at various neutrals without 100% commitment to a particular ‘color’ (i.e., gray/beige/cream) or undertone (i.e., blue/green/violet) is a winner in my books. Aesthetic White definitely satisfies this, along with a depth that’s versatile for a variety of spaces.
A few more warm off-whites
DOES THIS MEAN AESTHETIC WHITE IS A FOOL-PROOF PAINT COLOR?
HELLLLS no – NO paint color is fool-proof; there will ALWAYS be situations where it won’t work. As it relates to Aesthetic White, here are its limitations…
- In a dark room, Aesthetic White can look a bit dingy and drab (improve your interior lighting!)
- In an OVERLY bright room, Aesthetic White will wash out, but so will ANY PAINT COLOR in and around this LRV range.
- Aesthetic White definitely doesn’t want to be partnered with off-white/cream trim; it needs a whiter approach.
- Aesthetic White isn’t always warm/beige enough for the beige/Tuscan tones from the early 2000s (this fab neutral is often better)
DOES AESTHETIC WHITE WORK ON WALLS, CABINETS, & EXTERIORS?
It depends on which surface you want to paint it on, as well as the surrounding finishes, so let’s break it on down (no twerking, though – yes, Mom, I’m talking to you)…
AESTHETIC WHITE AS A WALL COLOR
- Aesthetic White is a soft subtle color that often humors a room with a variety of interior finishes containing different neutrals in them
- with its higher LRV; Aesthetic White is a great way to lighten and brighten a room, especially for those who want to do so without going all-white
In this next bathroom with muted natural light, look at how subtle Aesthetic White looks. While it has a passive warmth, it’s not NEARLY as warm as some of the other popular shades of off-white.
In this hallway with beige/taupe carpet and orange-hued wood trim, the warmth of Aesthetic White shows up to the party much more…
AESTHETIC WHITE ON KITCHEN CABINETS
- Aesthetic White can be a great choice for kitchens that don’t suit white cabinets (more common than you’d think – especially kitchens with granite countertops from the early 2000s)
- thanks to its higher LRV, combined with the extra sheen of cabinet paint (satin or pearl), Aesthetic White can lighten the look of a previously dark kitchen without going too white/bright
- if you want a bit more depth, check out Sherwin Williams Accessible Beige
SAMPLING AESTHETIC WHITE WITH PEEL & STICK
Samplize offers peel-and-stick paint samples that are more AFFORDABLE, EASIER, and more ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY than traditional paint pots. Here are just a few reasons why I recommend Samplize to my clients…
- samples arrive ON YOUR DOORSTEP in 1 DAY, depending on the location
- they’re more affordable than the samples pots/rollers/foam boards that are needed for traditional paint sampling
- if you keep the samples on their white paper, you can move them around the room
GET YOUR SAMPLIZE PEEL & STICK SAMPLE!
AESTHETIC WHITE AS AN EXTERIOR COLOR
- on exterior trim, Aesthetic White is a bright but not WHITE look – not all homes suit white trim, yet going cream/yellow or gray can be risky
- as an exterior siding/main color, Aesthetic White offers a bright look without the same starkness of white
- the flexible neutrals in Aesthetic White often humor a wide range of stone, brick, and roof colors
Aesthetic White 50% darker
What do YOU think? Are you excited to see warmer colors popping up, or are you still on the gray train?
CHECK OUT MY ONLINE PAINT COLOR CONSULT / E-DESIGN!