PAINTED CABINETS: The Top 4 Gray & Greige Paint Colours
Hands-down, gray is the most popular colour for cabinets these days (with navy blue coming in hot second), but how on EARTH do you pick from all of those grays? Warm gray, cool gray, blue gray, greige gray, green gray – HELLS BELLS! Thank goodness you have your own personal decorator tucked in your back pocket (and don’t worry, I don’t pinch…unless you ask nicely).
Today we’re going to look at three of the best gray paint colours for cabinets and vanities. And there are TONS more that I’d love to explore with you, but these three are a great place to start your search…
1. Benjamin Moore Amherst Gray HC-167
Like ANY gray, Amherst Gray can AND WILL pick up undertones from its environment. But generally speaking, it will look like a nice, medium-toned charcoal paint colour that doesn’t have that typical taupe-purple undertone that a lot of today’s grays have. However, it can grab a wee wink o’ green at times.
And while this is a fireplace surround, not a cabinet, it’s a GREAT example of the undertone that can pop up in Amherst Gray…
This next photo shows how neutral Amherst Gray can look, but don’t be fooled, it USUALLY picks up a more green than this…
See how wicked it looks with stainless steel appliances? Just agree with me, Tim says it’s easier that way (wink wink).
See more of this project HERE
Amherst Gray cabinets work great with…
- Grays with a very vague green undertone
- Some tan, beige and greige paint colours
- Stainless steel appliances
Paint colours that are similar to Amherst Gray
- Benjamin Moore Chelsea Gray, slightly lighter
- Benjamin Moore Kendall Charcoal, a wicked dark charcoal
- Sherwin Williams Classic French Gray
Read more: A Marble Inspired Ensuite Bathroom
2. Benjamin Moore Metropolis CC-546
Metropolis is for those of you who want to take a slightly softer, warmer approach to painting your cabinets. I wouldn’t go so far as to say Metropolis is a SUPER warm gray, but it’s definitely warmer and more taupey (taupey not being a real word) than Amherst Gray. Metropolis has an LRV of 23.
Metropolis can look gray, without the cool edge.
See the before and after photos of this project HERE
This is the bathroom in our previous home with Benjamin Moore Classic Gray on the walls and Metropolis on the vanity.
Metropolis cabinets work great with…
- Slightly warmer grays, but nothing TOO greige
- soft whites and some off-whites
- Stainless steel/polished nickel
Paint colours that are similar to Metropolis
- For a touch less warmth, check out Sherwin Williams Dovetail
- You can also go a bit lighter and softer with Benjamin Moore Escarpment
Let’s take a quick break to talk about paint samples…
Undoubtedly, you’ll be heading out in the near future to grab paint samples – stop right there! I want you to check out SAMPLIZE. Samplize offers peel and stick paint samples that are more AFFORDABLE, EASIER and more ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY than traditional paint pots. Here are just a FEW reasons why I recommend Samplize to my clients…
- Samples arrive ON YOUR DOORSTEP in 1-3 business days, depending on location
- At $6.99, they’re more affordable than the samples pots/rollers/foam boards that are needing for traditional paint sampling
- If you keep the samples on their white paper, you can move them around the room
Visit the SAMPLIZE website HERE
3. Benjamin Moore Kingsport Gray HC-86
Sure, it says ‘gray’ but this one really is more greige than anything as it sits in between gray and beige – slightly favouring the warmer side of things.
If you’re looking for a warmer neutral, this one could work well for you. Kingsport Gray does the job of being a diehard ‘neutral’ with more warmth and softness than the previous options.
Kingsport Gray is shown below with a beautiful (and affordable) Formica countertop. A soft and subtle way to neutralize a space, while giving a bit of personality.
Kingsport Gray cabinets work great with…
- Warm-toned countertops
- Cream and off-white paint colours
- Almond tub/toilet (more here on that tricky topic)
- Bone or almond coloured kitchen appliances
Paint colours that are similar to Kingsport Gray
- I love the slightly grayer approach of Sherwin Williams Keystone Gray
- Sherwin Williams Mega Greige is also pretty, sitting a bit lighter than Keystone Gray
4. Sherwin Williams Gauntlet Gray SW 7019
Gauntlet Gray is a wicked dark gray with a slightly warm, but VERY vague purple undertone.
Gauntlet Gray works great with…
- A lot of popular quartz countertops
- Tile floors that have a mix of warm gray and beige
- Some beige and tan paint colours
Paint colours that are similar to Gauntlet Gray
- While Sherwin Williams Dovetail doesn’t have the same DEPTH, it is a similar-looking colour, just a bit lighter
Wondering which gray is best for your kitchen or bathroom?
Check out my affordable Virtual Colour Consulting Packages!
Originally posted in 2017, updated in 2020