The Best Paint Colours for the INSIDE of Your Front Door
(partner post to ‘The Best Paint Colours for the Outside of Your Front Door’ )
Other than ceilings and bodies, doors are often the most ignored paintable surface in a home. Now I’m not talking about bedroom/bathroom doors, I’m talking about main doors – front doors, pantry doors and backdoors.
Kylie M Interiors E-Décor and Online Services
Here are a few reasons why you should paint your door(s)…
#1 In my previous home the entryway had 3 doors that all looked the same and were all shut 95% of the time (front/garage/suite). This was a great reason to single out the main door and paint it a key colour. If there is any confusion at all, then pick out your main door and give it some TLC.
#2 If you have a back door (not including a sliding door) that leads out to your garden/backyard and it is located in a major room (kitchen/family room/dining/etc…)
#3 If you have a pantry door in your kitchen that stands out in comparison to your cupboards (ie: you have espresso or wood cabinets and a white pantry door or white surround with glass insert). This is a great reason to paint your pantry door as it will reduce the level of contrast in your space which will add to the flow and overall appeal.
“Do the interior and exterior of the door need to be the same colour?”
Absolutely not! Just think, if the exterior of your door is already painted and the interior is white then there is already a difference – and a high-contrast, drastic one at that.
How to Pick the Best Colour For Your Door
- Choose an accent colour that suits the interior of your home. Accent colours tend to be in the darker range (like the last 1-2 colours on a colour strip.) You can repeat an accent colour that already exists in your space OR choose an accent colour that complements/contrasts your home.
- Look at the permanent features in your space for inspiration. If you have tile, linoleum, brick or stone there should be some colour inspirations that will help tie your door into the scheme of your home
- Look at the temporary inspirations in your space like your wall colour, furnishings, textiles and artwork
- In the ideal world, while they don’t need to be the same colour, the interior should coordinate well with the paint colour on the exterior of the door
My Fave INTERIOR Front Door Colours
(click on colour name to view on website)
Top Row – Left to Right
- Benjamin Moore Black 2132-10– hard to go wrong if you’re looking for black
- Benjamin Moore Wythe Blue HC 143 – a beautiful blue/green/gray blend
- Benjamin Moore Newbury Port Blue HC 155 – a navy with a weee wink of green in it (just a dab)
Middle Row – Left to Right
- Benjamin Moore Coral Reef 012 – a beautiful coral, blend between orange and pink
- Benjamin Moore Hodley Red HC 65 – a beautiful rich burgundy colour
- Benjamin Moore Amherst Gray HC 167 – a lovely, rich charcoal
Bottom Row – Left to Right
- Benjamin Moore Hale Navy HC 154 – a lovely, rich navy blue
- Benjamin Moore Caribbean Teal 2123-20 – a subdued teal (blue/green blend with gray in it)
- Benjamin Moore Incense Stick 2115-20 – a deep purple with an earth-toned base
Check out my affordable and fun E-Design & Color Consulting Packages!
Kylie M Interiors Interior Decorating and Design Blog. Budget Friendly. Online Color Consulting and E-Design. Based in Nanaimo BC and serving the whole darned World!