WHAT TYPE OF NEUTRAL IS DRIFT OF MIST? Let’s find out…
If you’re looking for a soft paint color with gentle whispers of undertone, you might love what I have to say about Sherwin Williams Drift of Mist…or maybe not – we’ll have to see!
I love to show RELATEABLE & REAL homes, so ONLY use my own photos of those from my Online Color Consulting clients.
IS DRIFT OF MIST GRAY, GREIGE, OR BEIGE?
Drift of Mist is a soft, warm gray with super muted undertones. But even though it has a passive warmth, it can look considerably cooler in north-facing light. In a room with south-facing or western afternoon sunshine, you’re likelier to see that warmth return, making it look greige sometimes.
WHAT’S THE LRV OF DRIFT OF MIST?
Drift of Mist has an LRV of 69. This LRV puts it in the light end, getting a BIT close to the off-white range, but not quite. If you have a super bright room, it could wash out quite a bit, whereas the slightly darker look of Gossamer Veil would hold itself a bit better. However, if you have a dark room, this type of color and depth could look a bit dingy.
Not sure what LRV is? It could save your paint-lovin’ life – read all about it HERE.
WHAT ARE DRIFT OF MIST’S UNDERTONES?
Drift of Mist is tough as it doesn’t cater hard to green or pink-violet – only slightly to green. While that might be SEEM good, many finishes need more commitment than Drift of Mist offers. This also means that it can look a bit dingy on your walls if the rest of your space isn’t carefully coordinated to suit it.
Dunn Edwards Faded Gray (25% lighter) is VERY similar to Drift of Mist
SAMPLING DRIFT OF MIST WITH SAMPLIZE
SAMPLIZE is a peel-&-stick paint sample that you can easily move around your room for over HALF THE COST of traditional sample pots – and they deliver right to your front door!
Get your PEEL & STICK SAMPLE OF DRIFT OF MIST!
WHAT’S THE BEST WHITE TRIM COLOR WITH DRIFT OF MIST?
If I want a nice white trim color with Drift of Mist, I’ll look at…
- Sherwin Williams Pure White for a softer approach
- Sherwin Williams High Reflective White or Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace for a cleaner look
IS DRIFT OF MIST A GOOD EXTERIOR COLOR?
A color with this high LRV can be tricky on an exterior, UNLESS you’re going for a light, bright, off-white look. And while Drift of Mist ISN’T off-white, with the way natural light brightens colors, it will look like one on your exterior. Personally, I’d lean towards a color with a bit more body or COMMIT to a color that actually is off-white rather than one that just washes out and looks like one.
IS DRIFT OF MIST GOOD ON KITCHEN CABINETS?
IS IT A POPULAR SHADE OF GRAY OR GREIGE?
I won’t say that Drift of Mist is super UNPOPULAR, but I’ve noticed that a LOT of my Online Color Consulting clients are sensitive to two undertones in particular – purple and green. Those who are comfortable with a purple undertone often dislike green ones. Those who prefer a green undertone often dislike a purple one. So, it depends on which camp you sit in!
To answer your question, no, Drift of Mist ISN’T super popular right now, but that doesn’t mean it won’t be the best color for you and your home. PERSONALLY, I would find it PRETTY limiting due to its passive warmth and undertones.
Check out my Online Paint Color Consulting
WHAT COLORS ARE SIMILAR TO DRIFT OF MIST?
Every color has particular nuances, and there will be NO perfect match. For a similar approach, check out…
- Benjamin Moore Intense White vs. Drift of Mist. Drift of Mist is darker than Intense White and a bit warmer/muddier, although both can have a green undertone.
- Benjamin Moore Winter Orchard vs. Drift of Mist. Winter Orchard is pretty similar to Drift of Mist, however, it’s a touch grayer, and its green undertone pops up a bit more.
- Sherwin Williams Gossamer Veil vs. Drift of Mist. Gossamer Veil is darker than Drift of Mist via its LRV of 62. It also comes off a touch stormier and more colorful (more undertone) while still acting like a neutral.
- Drift of Mist vs. Sherwin Williams Agreeable Gray. You’ll notice a big shift between these two shades and in most cases, they shouldn’t be vying for the same project. Agreeable Gray has more depth (LRV of 60) than Drift of Mist’s 69, meaning Agreeable Gray is darker. And while both colors are wishy-washy about their undertones and can lean slightly into green, Agreeable Gray has a muddier, warmer look.
- Sherwin Williams City Loft vs Drift of Mist. If you’re not convinced Drift of Mist can harbor a wee green undertone, compare it to City Loft. City Loft’s soft taupe (violet-pink) contrasts against Drift of Mist’s subtle, slightly green hue, helping us see it clearer.
Sherwin Williams Gossamer Veil
WHAT TYPES OF COLORS GO WITH DRIFT OF MIST?
Because Drift of Mist has a warm green undertone, it will be a BIT fussy about what it’s partnered with, but you could check out…
- Some grays with a blue-green undertone (that are darker than DOM).
- off-white paint colors as long as they’re similarly ‘dirty’ – not clean and bright
- Soft white paint colors
Check out my Online Paint Color Consulting – I’d love to help!
KYLIE M INTERIORS E-DESIGN AND ONLINE VIRTUAL PAINT COLOR EXPERT, SPECIALIZING IN BENJAMIN MOORE AND SHERWIN WILLIAMS PAINT COLORS DIY DECORATING AND DESIGN ADVICE BLOGGER