3 Affordable Ideas to Update Your Old Home Decor
Partner post to 6 Ideas to Update Your Home on a Budget
Is your home decor stuck in the 70’s, 80’s or 90’s? Are you on a tight budget and need some quick ‘bang for buck’ ideas (street corner style)? Then you’ve come to the right place!
These decorating ideas will not only update your ho-hum room and breathe life into your décor, they will also be budget-friendly – holla, holla, let’s save a dolla!
Reasons to Update Your Home Décor:
- You no longer like the way it looks (as you’ve likely had it since your College years or first wedding)
- It doesn’t suit the decorative direction you are taking your home
- You like ‘parts’ of it – but not all of it
- Your friends all make fun of you for it (time to get new friends…just joking)
So if you like something the way it is then you don’t need to update it and you can COMPLETELY ignore me as I blab on and on (if you need tips on how to do this, talk to Tim). And I’m not saying that the things below are ugly (I lie, some of them are), I’m just saying that you might want to think about a change!
So if you are EXCITED about bringing your home décor into the 21st Century, then grab a bottle, a seat and read on!
Home Décor Update #1 New Lamp Shades
If you have a beautiful lamp base but it’s buried under a butt-ugly shade, maybe it’s time for a face-lift! Home Sense and Home Depot usually have some simple styles in-stock and ready to go. You can also check out Lamps Plus and Wayfair which have tons to choose from!
What does a modern lamp shade look like?
There’s quite a few to choose from. Try to mimic the ‘overall shape’ of your lamp base, so if your base is more rounded, then choose a rounded shade. If your base has square lines, consider a square shade or one with defined angles.
How to pick the right size lamp shade
Damn it’s hard sometimes (that’s what she said…)! There are so many lamp bases out there and so many exceptions that the guidelines are pretty generic, but at least you’ll have a place to start!
And remember, these are just guidelines and there are some FUNKY looking lamp bases out there, so if the guidelines don’t work for you, take your lamp base to the store and try a few different shapes and harass some other shoppers and store employees for their opinions!
- The height of the shade should cover approximately 40% of the total height of the lamp.
- The width of the shade (measurement of the bottom diameter) should be the width of the base (at its widest) x2.
Food for Thought…
- Don’t shell out too much coin for a new shade unless your lamp base is really worth it (monetary or emotional). At some point it’s just easier to buy a new base with a shade that comes with it, then you can stop sweatin’ the finer details
- Dark shades won’t give off a quality light. If you want a clear and bright light, consider a shade that is white, off-white or a very light colour
- Coloured shades will give your room a coloured glow, so if you choose a blue lamp shade consider the effect this can have on your paint colour and overall mood
Home Décor Update Idea #2 Re-Frame Pictures and Artwork
Some of my FAVE pieces of artwork are fresh out of the 70’s, but are hidden behind garish picture frames.
Now remember, this blog post is about ‘updating’, not ‘honouring a specific era’, so keep in mind that the overall vibe of your artwork may change with a new, more modern frame/mat (and that just might be a good thing – just sayin’).
Jamie chose to buy a new mat and painted the frame with Chalk Paint. This is a GREAT option if you already have some paint kickin’ around, but can be a bit pricey if you don’t (as Chalk Paint ain’t cheap). Otherwise you’re better off just buying a new frame with a mat in it.
These prints could have been headed for a garage sale if it weren’t for the timely intervention of Jenny from Little Green Notebook. She saved the day with some affordable Ikea Ribba frames and gave these prints a new lease on life!
Now we’ve ALL seen our fair share of these vintage style paintings and this one looks CONSIDERABLY more modern and relevant with a painted frame and totally suits the style of the furnishings – well done!
Food for thought…
- A white frame with a black mat can be a high impact/contrast look
- A black frame with a white or off-white mat is more timeless and transitions well with most styles
- An over-sized mat can look better and focus more attention on a photo/artwork than a small mat
- Coloured mats are usually dated looking
- If you have a piece of artwork/photo framed with oak – it’s dated – nuff’ said
- Unless it’s distressed and ‘Farmhouse Style’ a black, dark or white frame is usually better than a colored one (mass appeal)
Home Décor Update Idea #3 Ditch the Poufy Valance
What is a valance? Well in the modern world, a valance is a fabric application that conceals drapery hardware or softens the top horizontal line of a window. In the outdated world, it’s a piece of fabric that is 3-4 times the width of the ACTUAL window opening that is scrunched up and stuffed with either paper or plastic bags (like my bra) to create an over-emphasized ‘pouf’. There…I said it.
And while I can let you get away with an outdated lamp shade or picture frame, I simply can’t stand by and let you have a poufy valance – it’s against my religion and everything that is good in this world.
An Outdated Valance
A Modern Style Valance
Whether you’re looking for a modern, country or traditional style, there are a lot of modern valance applications out there. The main idea is that they tend to be a bit more tailored, rather than poufing out like a 1950’s poodle skirt.
Via Up CountryOlio
You can buy pre-made valances or if you’re artsy-fartsy there are HUNDREDS of how-to’s out there.
Click here for TONS of ideas for How-To Make a Window Valance (including no-sew options if you’re like me!)
So there you have it. I’m sure a few of you are getting your darts sharpened and ready to go, but the rest of you – Happy Updating!
Kylie M Interiors. Interior Decorating and Design Blog. E-Design, Online Color Consulting and Decorating Ideas. Based in Nanaimo BC, Vancouver Island and serving the whole darned World!